"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically...Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education."
--from "The Purpose of Education" by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
I graduated from Mississippi State University with a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education with an English concentration and minor. I earned a Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics and TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) from the University of Mississippi. Currently, I am a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Mississippi. I am endorsed to teach English as a Second Language grades K-12 and English grades 7-12.
I began my career as an educator teaching high school English. Upon receiving my M.A., I moved abroad and taught high school ESL courses. After gaining many valuable and unforgettable professional and life experiences, I moved back to the U.S. in 2014 and have been employed with the DeSoto County School District ever since. I came into DCS as an elementary EL teacher. In 2017, I assumed the role of EL Specialist serving our district's twenty-two elementary schools.
Follow our Twitter to see what's happening in the world of EL in DCS! Follow these hashtags to see what's happening around our great district! #TeamDCS #RaiseTheBar #ALLmeansALL
"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble."--Helen Keller
Strong Readers MS
Scholastic Learn at Home
MDE's Learn at Home Resources
Complete these activities each day this summer to keep your brains active.
Motivated to Read Mondays: Choose a book and read for at least 30 minutes. (Visit this website for free books https://freekidsbooks.org/reading-level/children/ )
Talk about it Tuesdays: Choose a family member and tell that person about what you read.
Write about it Wednesdays: Write a summary of what you read. Be sure to include details and a cool illustration!
Think and Listen Thursdays: Learn more about your family. Ask a family member one of the following questions. Take notes to help you remember.
- What is your favorite food? Why?
- What is your favorite animal? Why?
- Do you like to cook? Why or why not?
- What is your favorite sport? Why?
- What do you like to do for fun? Why?
- What is your favorite time of day--morning, afternoon, or night? Why?
- What is your favorite song? Why?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? Why?
- What makes you feel better if you are having a bad day?
- What makes a person a good friend?
- Why is it important to help people?
Fun Fridays: Choose a fun, learning website and play for 15-30 minutes.
- UPDATE: (4.14.2020) Per Governor Tate Reeves, schools will remain closed for the rest of the semester. Distance-learning will continue for DCS students through May 21, 2020.
- DeSoto County Schools will be closed through April 17, 2020. An announcement will be made on or before April 17th regarding the status of school for the following week.
- Our elementary team will offer daily EL Support Hours. Please check your teacher's webpage for more details.
- Check out your teacher's webpage for fun language tasks you can do at home with your family!